This Blog's For You!

My last blog post wasn't very uplifting or positive. It was a post based on past experiences hosting artist's workshops. It detailed some of the objectionable behavior by a very small handful of people, whose actions make life difficult for others. These issues were shared in the hopes of creating awareness of things that might seem innocent on the surface but have a damaging ripple effect. Fortunately, 98% of artists who teach or attend classes make hosting a pleasure and immensely rewarding. This blog post is for YOU.

What is Okay?

Finding the best and most exciting artists to come and teach at Way Art Yonder Studio has been the highlight of my career as a venue and host, and the added bonus is that I get to share these classes with you. It is inspiring and extremely rewarding in watching the magic that happens between the teaching artist and you, the student, when something imparted in class resonates and you merrily go down that rabbit hole of creation. 

The camaraderie between students and teachers can be palpable. There is great pleasure in being in the studio with you and listening to that buzz of laughter, generosity, creativity and the deep focused quiet that comes when we're "in the zone." Artists who teach have answered a calling to share with others. They are also inspired by you and what you learn and how you make it your own.

Some of the most generous people have graced the threshold of the studio; whether answering the call for a ride share from an out of town guest, to sharing supplies, to bringing snacks to share, to accepting my invitation to teach. Your warmth and genuine concern for each other is noticeable and helps add to the happy vibes of the weekend. It's so pleasing to witness new friendships form and carry over, long past the workshop.



My perspective on what's is okay ....

I think it's okay to be human. :) 

I think it's okay to show up cranky from a lack of sleep and then realize that you're taking it out on others and change your tune. 

I think it's okay to have a migraine and recognize that the best thing to do is to opt out of the remainder of the class.

I think it's okay to be self reliant. 

I think it's okay to go down your own rabbit hole and do your own thing quietly. 

I think it's okay to ask the chatty person across from you to not talk when the teacher is teaching. 

I think it's okay to hear that and have your feelings temporarily hurt and then move on with other's feelings in mind. 

I think it's okay to be so excited or nervous that you might laugh a little louder or talk a bit more. 

I think it's okay to be forgiving of others. 


I think it's okay to remember that we're all at the same table for the same reason: to learn and make art.

I think it's okay to ask the teaching artist to explain something in greater detail. 

I think it's okay for the teaching artist to defer her answer to you for later, so it doesn't interrupt the flow of her teaching. 

I think it's okay for you to ask follow up questions after the class has ended. 

I think it's okay to not like every single thing about a class. 

I think it's okay to remember that the teacher's style may not be your own but recognize the value of the techniques learned and how they inform your own art making.

I think it's okay for teaching artists to take another artist's classes. 

I think it's okay to continue to learn from others. 

I think it's okay to know that sometimes you hit a creative wall. 

I think it's okay to recognize the need to seek out inspiration. 

I think it's okay to incorporate what you've learned into your own art making. 

I think it's okay to take those techniques and make them your own. 

I think it's okay to credit the person you learned from. 

I think it's okay to go to other studios and learn from other artists.


I think it's okay to not be everyone's cup of tea.

I think it's okay to wish you could take Marcel home with you. 

I think it's okay for me to tell you that you are more than okay. 

I think it's okay to wish you well. And I do.


What's okay with you?







 

 

Comments

Popular Posts