Monsters Under the Bed (and other February Musings)

February is/was my "big scary monster under the bed" month. It was the one year anniversary of Way Art Yonder Studio (Feb. 4) and it was also the month of two workshops, plus Open Studio. I survived it all, and that monster under the bed was actually pretty tame, once I got over thinking about how scary all of the unknown outcomes in my life are to me.

The early days of the month were about me putting aside hurt feelings and extending forgiveness to someone who'd not only caused me pain, but in others, an even greater pain. It was important to me to extend that forgiveness in order for me to move forward, and hopefully, enable others to do the same.



Clinging to our hurts only prolongs our pain - it's like picking a scab before it has healed - re-injuring ourselves, only this time at our own hand. Forgiveness, whether accepted by the other person or not, is about removing the shackles from your own heart. It doesn't require acceptance or buy-in from the other person, you alone can choose forgiveness and start anew. I made the choice to be done with that chapter and am ready for the new now.


Let the healing begin .........

The first workshop of February was with Erin Faith Allen, who came from Houston to teach her life-altering workshop, Ancestors. The group of women who came for the weekend, were from all over the country, and each brought a unique history/herstory with them. I was moved by the courage of these women and how they dug in so deep into their ancestral histories, finding the cross generational gifts and hurts that exist in all of our bloodlines and then using that energy in their artwork. These were brave women creating and doing beautiful work. It was such an honor to host this workshop.

Erin is an amazing artist, facilitator and brave soul too. She's actually pretty bad ass, and she's letting love fuel her toward the finish line of her next big project. Read more about it here ....

I dropped Erin and another friend off at the airport on Monday, and I couldn't wait to get back into my journal to begin using my own ancestors in my art. The work was healing for me as I was able to look upon my own family's estrangement, and this time with a different perspective.

Even if your family is perfect and you had a miraculously dysfunction free childhood, Erin's workshop, Ancestors, is one that will help you harness all of that energy and make you even better and fiercer artist and person today.  She's coming back in 2019 to teach here again - it will be a different class but I bet there will be similar themes explored. Stay tuned.

....

Roxanne Coble, you may know her as "by bun", came back to Way Art Yonder to launch her newest class, "Mixed Media Mini Zines" and her new book, "The Book of Bun". Roxanne's classes are always densely packed with lots of technique, energy, color and fun. I'm always amazed at how much work and preparation she puts into her teaching and how much value she adds to everything she does for her students. Each student left with a zine about making a zine, a full step out of her process, and a few freebie zines and extras too! I'm excited to finish up my own mini zine "Math Zombie" and send it out to those at the workshop (and start getting theirs in return!) If you'd like a copy of mine, send an email with your snail mail address.

She'll be back in June to teach her wildly popular class, "Fantastical Fauna" which is another fabulous workshop. It sold out last time, so be sure to claim your seat at the workshop table quickly. If the thought of illustration scares you (like it does me!) have no fear - Roxanne breaks things down in a way that makes me wish math teachers could do the same! You will leave the class feeling successful in your illustration capabilities - it's like magic!

On a personal note, Roxanne was someone who taught here long before I started the studio. A friend of mine, Belen, had asked her to come to San Diego to teach and knew that I had the space to host. Neither of us really knew what to expect but we grabbed a few friends and a couple of tables, and sat outside what is now the studio, for one of her very first classes. I fell in love with Roxanne's "creepy cute" style of art journaling. That was over 6 or 7 years ago, so it was only natural that she was the first artist to teach at Way Art Yonder last year and will always have a place on the studio roster of visiting artists. Roxanne, mi estudio est tu estudio! <3 <3 <3

Jana Freeman

.........

This month has given me a chance to remember and call on the younger version of me, the one who leaped before looking, trusting the wind to carry her far, and the earth to soften her landing. I was thrilled to call upon the spirit of my younger self and was amazed that she still dwells within my sometimes cynical shell of 54 years. It was good to find her and be in touch with her this month. Her free spirit and nerves of steel were much needed!

I'll be calling on her a lot in the next few days and months, as my Marine, gets ready for his first deployment. This makes all my "scary monster under the bed" nightmares about art workshops seem like nursery rhymes. It's about to get real and so I will do my best to remember what a younger version of me would tell the mom version of me today:

Trust.
Believe.
Have courage.
It's going to be okay.

Thank you, younger me, for being so wise.
I love you. 








Comments

Popular Posts